Local U.S. Job Opportunities
These pages concentrate on unique resources for each state and many of the territories of the U.S. Additional job listings and resources can be found all over the Riley Guide, but these sites and services specifically target the states, their cities, counties, and other municipalities or regions within them. Job seekers interested in finding location-specific resources for other countries should use the International page.
The majority of the listings here are for the state employment services and local newspapers. We also have a page with links to information on How to File for Unemployment Benefits for all states.
- New England & Mid-Atlantic:
- includes Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,
New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia
- Mountain Region, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, & Pacific Islands:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana,
Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
- Midwest & Great Lakes:
- includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,
Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin
- South & Southeast, USVI & Puerto Rico:
- includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and the US Virgin Islands
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Guam | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Puerto Rico | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Virgin Islands | Washington | Washington DC | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
Large Job Banks with a Local Focus
- Internet Job Source
- ...links to government jobs in most states, dozens of agencies within the federal government, and many Fortune 500 companies. Search for a job by major industry or state, or click to check out the major newspapers, magazines, and other news and government resources available through this site.
- ...a job board focused on local listings, and by local I mean specific cities / regions within each state plus the District of Columbia. Select your targeted state, then browse by job category or location. I like the fact they tell you how many listings are under each category. They also add local economic news and occupational information for each state and each city (if available).
Local Newspapers Online
Use our links to Directories of Newspapers to connect to local newspapers where you want to be!
Other Ideas Poking Around the Riley Guide
- Check the websites for local Networking and Job Search Support Groups. These often list resources for the group participants.
- Check the websites of Local Public Libraries, easily found by searching Libdex.
- Jobs with the many State Governments and some local governments can be found on our page for Government & Military Service or by visiting State and Local Government on the NET
- Look over the Travel & Local Info Guides. These will often lead you to good resources for targeting local employers.
- Check the Telephone Directories for lists of local employers by business type. Many of these online directories will also have links to web pages for the businesses listed.
- Go over the Job Lead Banks & Recruiters and search using the name of the state, city, or region you are targeting.