Local Information & Travel Guides
Local info & travel guides will help you learn more about the atmosphere and culture of a new location. A local chamber of commerce will also give you good information on business, education, and lifestyle in the area they serve.
You may also want to review our information under Consider Relocating.
- ..".a network of city guides and ticketing information." This is a great way to find out about the local night life and entertainment available in the areas currently represented. Some city guides are partnered with local newspapers and other organizations. Pretty nice listings of local events like strawberry picking farms, garden tours, movie show times, etc etc etc.
- ERSYS (Earth Resource SYStem)
- Texas-based Ersys market research company is making much of its demographic and geographic data available for free here with this handy tool. Select a state and then choose from a list of cities and towns to view information on population, climate and pollution, politics, media, income, education, transportation, and much more. The demographics section provides maps and tables.
- Forbes Best Places for Business and Careers (2010)
- Forbes Best Small Cities For Business And Careers (2010)
- Forbes looks at America's regional economies, ranking major Metros as well as smaller cities.
- ...a a directory of library websites, online public-access-catalogs (OPAC), and much more. Libdex is edited by Peter Scott, Internet Projects Manager at the University of Saskatchewan Libraries, and a long-time Internet expert with many similar projects under his belt. You can browse this site by by country and library name, OPAC vendor (if you know who provides the one your library uses), and Friends of the Libraries. You can also try a keyword search for libraries. Library entries include name, city, country, library type, and links to the library homepage and Web catalog.
- Money's Best Places to Live
- ...read their rankings of cities, or create your own. Updated annually.
- State and Local Government on the NET
- ... links to official state and local government resources for the U.S., its many territories, and several tribal governments within the US.
- USA CityLink
- ... a fairly comprehensive guide to U.S. cities. Depending on the location, you may learn about its demographics, key phone numbers, health-care facilities, community-service organizations, parking, local chamber of commerce and other tidbits.
- Yahoo! Local
- ...Access maps; weather data; business, community and government information; recreational and cultural activities; newspapers; an events schedule and an on-line telephone book for the city you'll be moving to.
- Country Studies/Area Handbook
- ...A continuing series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the Department of the Army. As of August, 1998, this series contained studies of 85 countries.
- CIA World Factbook
- ...one of the best directories of international information anywhere. No, you won't find out any nasty stuff, but you will learn so much about a country by reading this.
- The Electronic Embassy
- ...Use this guide to find contact information for embassies all over the world and get information on the countries they represent.
More International information is available.
- The Weather Channel
- ...The premier television channel ready to answer your needs online.
- Intellicast Weather Forecasts
- ...Check the weather right now, and gather a little history on the subject.
- ...weather service for most radio stations across the US. Wonderful source for weather-related news all over the world.